Some people don’t like Mondays – but with Matcha Green Tea Pancakes to start the week with, who could complain?!
This delicious homemade recipe is brought to us at Kenko Tea by the super talented Carmen Chan from @cahmun.
Carmen Chan is a nutrition student from Vancouver who loves to document the delicious things she eats and how she creates them on her instagram,Cahmun.
Now, just because Carmen’s Matcha Green Tea Pancakes are easy to make, that doesn’t mean they’re like the fast food versions we know – it’s all sugar-free, with sweetness coming from natural honey. You can top your pancake stack with condensed milk if you like, or just cover it with fresh fruits like mangoes and peaches, which pair very well with the matcha green tea flavour.
The Kinako powder that is used for the topping is simply roasted soybean flour, a popular culinary ingredient from Japan. It’s mostly used in rice cakes like mochi and similar desserts, with a nutty taste that’s very distinctive. Kinako is gluten free and full of vitamin B and protein.
If you can’t find it in the stores, check out this link for how to make your own Kinako - it’s a great alternative to wheat flour.
Now, let’s get the week started right with Carmen Chan’s delicious Matcha Green Tea Pancakes:
Homemade Green Tea Matcha Pancakes
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp Kenko Tea matcha powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 large egg
- Coconut oil for the pan
- Optional topping: fruits (mango, peach, etc.), Kinako, condensed milk
- Combine flour, baking powder & matcha in a bowl
- Whisk egg, yogurt, honey & milk in another bowl
- Whisk slowly wet ingredients into the dry until just moistened
- Coat a large skillet with thin layer of oil over medium heat
- Spoon 2-3 tbsp of batter onto the skillet
- Cook until the bottom is golden brown & the surface has bubbles (1-2 mins)
- Flip & cook until the other side is golden brown (30 secs)
- Repeat for the remaining batter
- Adjust the heat setting if necessary & wipe the griddle between batches
- Serve warm, with desired toppings
These matcha pancakes make the perfect breakfast for your family and friends – if you want to share that is!