Happy Matcha Monday!
A new week starts and a new Matcha recipe awaits. Today we are having a unique dessert recipe: Matcha Tofu Cheesecake by Christina Nyanamani from @cakecharisma88.
Christina is a self-taught home-baker and freelance baking instructor. She loves to experiment with different kinds of ingredients, incorporating them into her creations.
She created her own IG account in September last year and has received the immense amount of love and support, which motivates her a lot to share her creations with others.
For today’s Matcha Green Tea cheesecake recipe, Christina incorporates tofu to create that silkiness and smoothness you expect from a cheesecake. The tofu also makes the cheesecake lighter, healthier and rich in protein.
Tofu has been a super popular substitute for egg and dairy in lots of vegan baking, due to its rich protein content. In this recipe, Christina still uses cream cheese in addition to tofu. It’s the first step for cutting down your dairy intake. But if you want to go for dairy-free, you can substitute it entirely with tofu.
Anyways, let’s check out the recipe and get baking!
Matcha Green Tea Tofu Cheesecake
- 65g digestive biscuits (crumbled)
- 55g melted butter
- 185g pressed Japanese Momen Tofu
- 10g gelatine powder
- 1 ¼ tsp Matcha powder
- 155g cream cheese (room temperature)
- 125g sour cream/yoghurt
- 35g soy milk/fresh milk
- 65g icing sugar
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- Line & grease a 6" springform pan (or aluminium foil pans)
- Mix well biscuit crumbs & melted butter until combined to make crust
- Press the crust on the base of pan evenly & refrigerate
- Wrap tofu with cheesecloth to squeeze out excess water .
- Soak gelatin powder in 45 g water for 5 min to bloom
- Mix matcha with 3 ¼ tbsp hot water.
- Blend tofu, cream cheese, sour cream, milk, sugar & vanilla extract till smooth and creamy
- Microwave gelatin mixture for about 5-10sec to melt
- Add gelatin mixture to tofu-cream cheese mixture
- Set aside ¼ of the tofu-cream cheese mixture in a different bowl
- Blend well matcha mixture into that portion until getting an uniform green mixture
- Spread green-tea mixture and tofu mixture on the crust alternating according to preference
- Swirl a knife in circular motion to create marbling effect on the cake
- Refrigerate cake for at least 4 hours and Enjoy!!!
Ta-da! A delicious Matcha Tofu Cheesecake that tastes scrumptious and can be stored in the fridge for a week.
Love this post? If yes, please don’t forget to: